The WWW Wednesday meme is hosted by Sam @ Taking on a World of Words and is a great way to do a weekly update on what you’ve been reading and what you have planned.
To take part all you have to do is answer the following three questions:
- What are you currently reading?
- What did you recently finish reading?
- What do you think you’ll read next?
Happy new year everyone!!! I can’t believe we’re in 2020 already, where does the time go? For my first book of the year I’ve decided to pick up Bitter Falls by Rachel Caine, the fourth book in the Stillhouse Lake series. I love Rachel Caine’s writing and this series is definitely a favourite. I’m only around 20% in as I write this and it’s off to a strong start, fingers crossed it manages to keep it up.
I’ve just finished my audio book and am still trying to make my mind up on what to listen to next so I’ve had the second Cat and Bones book, One Foot in the Grave, on the go for the last few days. I’ve listened to it before but it always makes me laugh so it’s keeping me going till I make a decision.
I decided to take a bit of a break from blogging last week (I’m off work for the hols so wanted a break from computer screens) and missed WWW Wednesday so this is two weeks worth of reading. I’ve actually had a great couple of weeks and I think the break may be doing me good as I feel like I’m starting to find the love again. Anyway over the two weeks I finished six books:-
- The Honey-Don’t List by Christina Lauren – I liked this a lot and pretty much flew through it in a few days. It’s not especially memorable though so while I enjoyed it at the time it didn’t wow me
- Strangers by C.L. Taylor – This is one that did wow me and I highly recommend trying to get your hands on a copy if you can (I got it from NetGalley). It had me hooked from pretty much the first page and it kept me guessing until the end. Loved it.
- Girl at Heart by Kelly Oram – I love Kelly Oram and honestly can’t understand why she’s not more popular than she is. This YA contemporary isn’t my favourite from her (let’s face it nothing’s gonna beat Cinder & Ella) but it’s very good. Yes some of the characters are too good to be true but it made me cry (Oram’s books always make me cry) so I was clearly invested.
- Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray – Whoop!!! It’s taken months but I’ve finally finished it. I do love this series but this book was much longer than it needed to be. There are wonderful characters and I love the way they’re developing but the story could have been a lot tighter. There seems to be an awful lot of social commentary and setting things up for future books.
- Finale by Stephanie Garber – At last, I managed to read the final book in the Caraval trilogy and it was fantastic. I love the world and the magic, I love Tella as a character and I loved the romance. I did however feel that the ending was a little rushed and I kind of missed the game aspect of the first two books.
- #Awestruck by Sariah Wilson – I have no idea why I decided to read this, it was a slightly random KU pick, but I really enjoyed it. I literally stayed up till 1am so I could finish it so clearly something about it worked for me. I think I’m just in a bit of a romance mood at the moment as I’ve already downloaded a couple of the author’s other books and plan on binge reading them.
I did also attempt to read the final Throne of Glass book, Kingdom of Ash, but I’m afraid I gave up on it pretty quickly. I think I’ve left it too long as I couldn’t remember who half the characters were and was very confused about what was going on. It’s unlikely I’m gonna go back and reread the previous books so unless I can find a recap somewhere I’m not sure I’m ever going to finish this series.
I snagged a copy of Starsight by Brandon Sanderson in the sales last week so I think I’m probably going to pick it up next as I’ve been eagerly awaiting it ever since I finished the first book Skyward. I also have an ARC of Holly Bourne’s new adult book Pretending which has been calling to me from my kindle. I’m also planning to start either Before the Devil Breaks You or Gemina as my next audio.
Have you read any of the books on my list this week? Any others you’d recommend? As always please feel free to leave comments and links below.
Happy Reading ❤