Yep it’s that time of year again where I start freaking out about how many books are on my TBR and decide to take part in Candid Covers Summer TBR Wipeout.
I did this last year and for the first time ever found myself actually sticking to a reading plan (well mostly). The challenge runs until 12th August and you don’t have to have a blog or website, just be willing to post on social media somewhere or other (instagram, facebook etc) and you could be in with the chance of winning a book of your choice up to a value of $20USD 🙂 If you’re interested you have until July 5th to sign up here.
So with only around 7 weeks how much can I read?? Well yet again I’m completely over committing (it’s supposed to be a challenge after all) with a mix of ARC’s, backlist books and new releases. I’ve tried to include a mix of genres so I have lots of options (I’m a mood reader) to make it easier for me to stick with it, so here we go.
Yet again my NetGalley shelf is getting out of control (there are just too many good books) so my focus over the next few weeks is going to be getting my ratio back up above 80% and reading some of those that have already been published (rather than just the shiny new ones).
- Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence – I recently finished the first book in this series, Red Sister, and loved it so looking forward to starting this today as a buddy read. I don’t think it’ll be a quick read but the world building is amazing and fighting nuns…. need I say any more?
- Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody – I keep bumping this down my list because I’ve been down on YA fantasy but everyone keeps telling me I have to read it… so I will 🙂
- The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang – I thought my list needed a bit of romance and I’ve heard some wonderful things about this one.
- The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M Danforth – Have to confess I hadn’t heard of this one until I spotted it on NetGalley and found out it was being adapted into a movie. Very excited to find a book featuring a F/F relationship.
- In Bloom by C.J. Skuse – Think British female version of Dexter with a lot of dark humor and you’ve pretty much got In Bloom. This is the sequel I’ve been waiting on.
- Grist Mill Road by Christopher J. Yates – This was a bit of a random NetGalley pick but sounds like an interesting premise.
- The Sea Witch by Sarah Henning – A Little Mermaid retelling from the POV of the villain. Count me in… although I have noticed I seem to have a few mermaid type stories… hmmm
- The Light Between Us by Katie Khan – The publisher offered me this as I enjoyed Khan’s previous book and given it features time travel I couldn’t really resist.
I have tickets to a few author events over the next couple of months and while I’m very excited about all of them I have to confess I haven’t necessarily read all of the books by the authors. In a few cases I haven’t actually read any of the books by the author so I think maybe I should…
- The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers – 24th July – Hmm getting tickets to an event where you haven’t read a single book by the author was probably not my wisest idea but it’s a series I’ve wanted to start for a while so this gives me an excuse.
- The Falconer by Elizabeth May (25th July) – I met May at an event last year and have heard nothing but great things about her trilogy.
- To Kill A Kingdom by Alexandra Christo (25th July) – Another book I bought but haven’t found the time to read despite being very excited about it
- Zenith by Sasha Alsberg & Lindsay Cummings (25th July) – This seems to have a lot of negative reviews which has made me a bit wary of picking it up. I suspect if I’m short on time this will be the book that slips off the list.
- Vicious by V.E. Schwab (2nd August) – I’ve been putting this off till nearer the release date of Vengeful but would love to read before I get the chance to see Schwab in August.
- Lost Boy by Christina Henry (2nd August) – Henry is actually promoting her latest book The Mermaid (which I also hope to read) but I’ve had Lost Boy sitting on my bookshelf for a while so would love to read it too.
- Spare and Found Parts by Sarah Maria Griffin (2nd August) – I loved the sound of this one (a modern Frankenstein story) and was tempted by the cover.
- How to Stop Time by Matt Haig (25th August) – I am very excited about this event as I’m a huge fan of Haig and everything he does to raise awareness of mental health issues. I’m hoping to read a few more of his books before I go (including Notes on a Nervous Planet which is the one he’s promoting) but this is the one currently sitting on my bookshelf.
These are the books I’ve been wanting to read or am curious about but never seem to find the time to read because I’m focusing on ARCs. Hopefully if I include them on this list I’ll have to read them 🙂
- The Power by Naomi Alderman – I’m reading this as a buddy read which I think starts next week (I should probably check that). It’s one I’ve been curious about for a while.
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller – I absolutely loved Circe so this is on my have to read as soon as possible list. I have however been warned it’s sad so maybe not one for the train.
- The End We Start From by Megan Hunter – Spied this one in the library and despite some decidedly mixed reviews I borrowed it.
- The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden – I read the first book in this series and wasn’t wholly convinced but everyone seems to say this is better so fingers crossed.
- Surface Breaks by Louise O’Neill – A Little Mermaid retelling, I couldn’t resist. I’m just waiting on my library hold to come in.
So that’s the plan. It looks like a lot of books but I’m treating it as a goal to aim for rather than a must achieve. If I slip or wander I’m not going to beat myself up too much.
Have you read any of the books on the list? Any you think I should ditch or switch for something else? Do you have a summer TBR list or do you prefer to just read whatever you feel like? Feel free to leave comments and links to your summer TBR below.
I seem to have given myself a lot of reading to do so I’m off to curl up in bed with my first book.
I’ll probably emerge around the 15th July with an update on how I’m doing. Wish me luck and happy reading everyone ❤